Thursday, August 30, 2007

David Irving on Aussie TV: What went wrong?

Seems that Australia's biggest pay TV station aired a biography of Hitler based on David Irving's work. The station was alerted after the first segment and pulled the show with deepest apologies.

A couple of questions come to mind:
1. Either someone had to have known what this show was all about and chose it deliberately, putting one over on the higher ups in the station

2. Or, and I favor this theory since the first one is a bit too conspiratorial for my tastes, this is how denial stuff makes it into the mainstream. It's what I have been saying since I wrote Denying the Holocaust, it camouflages itself as respectable scholarly literature and/or documentaries and people who don't have a background fall for it.

Now that is far more scary than a conspiracy.

Well, I am in South Africa in the bush and am off to see some [more] lions, elephants, zebras and the like.... Away from the other stuff that takes up most of my time... what a momentary relief.

1 comment:

CaHwyGuy - Daniel the California Highway Guy said...

Enjoy South Africa. You might even run into a former student. Your mention of it brought back memories of a young lady I met in one of your classes at UCLA who hailed from Capetown. She ended up marrying a dentist in Capetown, and to my knowledge is still living there.